This contest is for students in grades 7–12.
7th–8th Grade Instructions
Students in grades 7 and 8 should write a 300–500 word pro-life essay on the topic “How would you give a pro-life response to your peers (classmates) who think abortion should continue to be legal and accessible to everyone who wants one?”
9th–10th Grade Instructions
Students in grades 9 and 10 should write a 300–700 word pro-life essay on the above topic or on the following subjects: abortion, euthanasia, stem cell research, or assisted suicide.
11th–12th Grade Instructions
Students in grades 11 and 12 should write a 600–1000 word pro-life essay (necessary to meet the 5-7 minute time requirement for the state oratory contest) on any of the above topics. At the judges’ discretion, and with the consent of the contestant, the first- and second-place winners from the Grade 11 & 12 division may be entered into the Indiana Right to Life State Oratory Contest!
Cash prizes will be awarded in each grade division as follows:
- First Place = $100
- Second Place = $50
- Third Place = $25
Essay Contest Rules 2018
- The contest is open to all students who are currently in grades 7 through 12 or equivalent, who are residents of or attend school in Howard County, Indiana.
- All entries must be typed, double-spaced in 12-point font.
- Entries for grades 7 and 8 must be 300–500 words in length.
- Entries for grades 9 and 10 must be 300–700 words in length.
- Entries for grades 11 and 12 must be 600–1000 words in length.
- Entries must follow the general rules of English grammar.
- Factual information must be current, with references cited.
- The essay must be based on pro-life principles. Others will be disqualified.
- The student’s name, school, phone number, email address (if applicable), grade level, and gender, must be neatly printed or typed at the top of the back of each page, with no identifying information on the front of the page.
- Only one entry may be submitted per student.
- Entries must be received by Saturday, March 31, 2018.
- Entries may be emailed as a Word or text document to email@example.com or may be mailed or hand-delivered to:
Criterion Water Labs
Attn: Essay Contest
329 E. Firmin Street
Kokomo, IN 46902
This information is also available as a pdf: 2018-howardcortl-essay-contest